Research suggests that the growing numbers of bilingual speakers may have an advantage that goes beyond communication: It turns out that being bilingual is also good for your brain.
Being Bilingual May Boost Your Brain Power : NPR
Botched Paramilitary Police Raids: An Epidemic of "Isolated Incidents"
"If a widespread pattern of [knock-and-announce] violations were shown . . . there would be reason for grave concern." —Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, in Hudson v. Michigan, June 15, 2006. An interactive map of botched SWAT and paramilitary police raids, released in conjunction with the Cato policy paper "Overkill: The Rise of Paramilitary Police Raids," by Radley Balko. What does this map mean? How to use this map View Original Map and Database
The proliferation of SWAT teams, police militarization, and the Drug War have given rise to a dramatic increase in the number of "no-knock" or "quick-knock" raids on suspected drug offenders. Because these raids are often conducted based on tips from notoriously unreliable confidential informants, police sometimes conduct SWAT-style raids on the wrong home, or on the homes of nonviolent, misdemeanor drug users. Such highly-volatile, overly confrontational tactics are bad enough when no one is hurt -- it's difficult to imagine the terror an innocent suspect or family faces when a SWAT team mistakenly breaks down their door in the middle of the night.
But even more disturbing are the number of times such "wrong door" raids unnecessarily lead to the injury or death of suspects, bystanders, and police officers. Defenders of SWAT teams and paramilitary tactics say such incidents are isolated and rare. The map above aims to refute that notion.
|Death of an innocent.||Death or injury of a police officer.||Death of a nonviolent offender.|
|Raid on an innocent suspect.||Other examples of paramilitary police excess.||Unnecessary raids on doctors and sick people.|
- Pledge of Allegiance at a Union Dinner « LewRockwe...
- Ron Paul More Electable Than Mitt Romney in Latest...
- Richard Rider calls Prop 29 a new high speed rail
- A test for state's untouchable pensions | PressDem...
- Dr Oz.. Medical Marijuana Part 1 - YouTube
- Being Bilingual May Boost Your Brain Power : NPR
- Jim Gierach speaks out on 420 University | LEAP
- Central Valley Business Times: Report: California ...
- Stratfor on the Futility of the War on Meth - Hit ...
- Brian Doherty, Senior Editor of Reason Magazine in...
- It's been a bear, or should I say, a beast. But ...
- Get ready for the onslaught of Props to part you w...
- Will Stockton Trigger Bankruptcy Run? | CalWatchDo...
- Nullification VICTORY in Virginia!
- Fantastic! And these are adult stem cells... not e...
- Ownership of Cato
- ▼ March (16)
- ► 2011 (330)
- ► 2010 (174)
- ► 2009 (179)