ECONOMIC LIBERTY LECTURE SERIES
Dinner, Lecture, and Social Hour
DATE: February 7, 2010 – Monday
PLACE: George Mason University -
Student Union II - Rooms 5-7
TIME: 5:30 pm – Pizza
6:00 pm – Talk with Q&A
8:00 pm – Social hour at Brion's Grille
SPEAKER: David E. Bernstein
"Rehabilitating Lochner: Defending Individual Rights against Progressive Reform"
David E. Bernstein is Foundation Professor at the George Mason University School of Law in Arlington, Virginia, where he has been teaching since 1995. He was a Visiting Professor at Georgetown University Law Center for Spring 2003 semester, at the University of Michigan School of Law for the 2005-06 academic year, and at Brooklyn Law School in Fall 2006.
Professor Bernstein is a nationally recognized expert on the Daubert case and the admissibility of expert testimony, and he is a past chairperson of the Association of American Law Schools Evidence section. Professor Bernstein is the coauthor of The New Wigmore: Expert Evidence (Aspen Law and Business 2003), and coeditor of Phantom Risk: Scientific Inference and the Law (MIT 1993).
Professor Bernstein is also an expert on the "Lochner era" of American constitutional jurisprudence. He is the author of Only One Place of Redress: African-Americans, Labor Regulations, and the Courts from Reconstruction to the New Deal (Duke 2001), and of Rehabilitating Lochner, which will be published by the University of Chicago Press in 2011.
David Bernstein's speech will be broadcast live on Ustream.com. If you're outside the DC area, you can watch and submit questions online in real-time via FFF's UStream station: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/the-future-of-freedom-foundation
Come join us after the event for a social hour at Brion's Grille in Fairfax, Virginia, right next to George Mason University - 10621 Braddock Road, Fairfax, VA 22030 (703) 352-7272
Monday, March 7,2011 - Tom G. Palmer
Monday, April, 4 Lawrence H. White
George Mason University Economic Society
The Future of Freedom Foundation
George Mason University, 4400 University Drive, Fairfax, VA.
Visitors should park in the Sandy Creek Parking Deck. Student Union II is one building over and rooms 5-7 are on the top floor. Cost is $2 per hour; $8 max per day. All Parking Inquiries: (703) 993-2710.
Botched Paramilitary Police Raids: An Epidemic of "Isolated Incidents"
"If a widespread pattern of [knock-and-announce] violations were shown . . . there would be reason for grave concern." —Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, in Hudson v. Michigan, June 15, 2006. An interactive map of botched SWAT and paramilitary police raids, released in conjunction with the Cato policy paper "Overkill: The Rise of Paramilitary Police Raids," by Radley Balko. What does this map mean? How to use this map View Original Map and Database
The proliferation of SWAT teams, police militarization, and the Drug War have given rise to a dramatic increase in the number of "no-knock" or "quick-knock" raids on suspected drug offenders. Because these raids are often conducted based on tips from notoriously unreliable confidential informants, police sometimes conduct SWAT-style raids on the wrong home, or on the homes of nonviolent, misdemeanor drug users. Such highly-volatile, overly confrontational tactics are bad enough when no one is hurt -- it's difficult to imagine the terror an innocent suspect or family faces when a SWAT team mistakenly breaks down their door in the middle of the night.
But even more disturbing are the number of times such "wrong door" raids unnecessarily lead to the injury or death of suspects, bystanders, and police officers. Defenders of SWAT teams and paramilitary tactics say such incidents are isolated and rare. The map above aims to refute that notion.
|Death of an innocent.||Death or injury of a police officer.||Death of a nonviolent offender.|
|Raid on an innocent suspect.||Other examples of paramilitary police excess.||Unnecessary raids on doctors and sick people.|
- ► 2012 (87)
- FFF Economic Liberty Lecture Series: David E. Bern...
- Saturday's Show Guests: Steven Greenhut and Ron Ka...
- Redevelopment: The Unknown Government. Politician...
- An Excellent Analysis of President Obama's SOTU Sp...
- Why Affordable Housing Matters
- The State Against Blacks 'The welfare state has do...
- Flashback 1969: Environmentalists Demand Compulsor...
- Guests this Saturday night are former Bracero turn...
- Socialism and Empire, Not Immigration, Are Destroy...
- GOP leaders: Anti-immigration stance hurts party
- A recent discovery for me, and a blueprint for my ...
- Saturday Night Radio Show on 870AM KRLA
- Brown Impounds Cell Phones!
- The Jared Loughner Problem Remedies exist short of...
- On the air Tonight at 11 PM on 870AM KRLA and on t...
- In California, Five Hundred and Fifty Billion Eye-...
- Repost from Friends for Fullerton's Future Blog: ...
- Public Asked to Help Reform Pensions in CA by The ...
- California ranks 3rd last in financial-strength te...
- The Center for Immigration Studies recently put ou...
- Who know's what his faith was when he was up and c...
- My New Show on KRLA 870 AM: If you can't beat 'em ...
- ▼ January (22)
- ► 2010 (174)
- ► 2009 (179)