Thursday, March 5, 2009
Nearly 10 percent of Georgia state legislators are late filing or paying their state taxes... If they're late right now, they're REALLY LATE. We're not talking about last year's taxes. But they have no problem raising our taxes, to keep their friends happy.
Botched Paramilitary Police Raids: An Epidemic of "Isolated Incidents"
"If a widespread pattern of [knock-and-announce] violations were shown . . . there would be reason for grave concern." —Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, in Hudson v. Michigan, June 15, 2006. An interactive map of botched SWAT and paramilitary police raids, released in conjunction with the Cato policy paper "Overkill: The Rise of Paramilitary Police Raids," by Radley Balko. What does this map mean? How to use this map View Original Map and Database
The proliferation of SWAT teams, police militarization, and the Drug War have given rise to a dramatic increase in the number of "no-knock" or "quick-knock" raids on suspected drug offenders. Because these raids are often conducted based on tips from notoriously unreliable confidential informants, police sometimes conduct SWAT-style raids on the wrong home, or on the homes of nonviolent, misdemeanor drug users. Such highly-volatile, overly confrontational tactics are bad enough when no one is hurt -- it's difficult to imagine the terror an innocent suspect or family faces when a SWAT team mistakenly breaks down their door in the middle of the night.
But even more disturbing are the number of times such "wrong door" raids unnecessarily lead to the injury or death of suspects, bystanders, and police officers. Defenders of SWAT teams and paramilitary tactics say such incidents are isolated and rare. The map above aims to refute that notion.
|Death of an innocent.||Death or injury of a police officer.||Death of a nonviolent offender.|
|Raid on an innocent suspect.||Other examples of paramilitary police excess.||Unnecessary raids on doctors and sick people.|
- ► 2012 (87)
- ► 2011 (330)
- ► 2010 (174)
- CA Tax Payer Revolt & the CA Rep. Party, and Water...
- California’s Upcoming Water Revolt: Left-wing env...
- Who Killed the California Economy? A Murder Myster...
- Show for Saturday, March 21, 11 AM, PST: Babes wit...
- Don't break the backbone of California's economy
- Taxpayers Gather To Protest Spending, Taxes, Growi...
- Is Ayn Rand Relevant? Short and Succinct
- Saturday, March 14-2009: Steve Moore, WSJ, on the...
- A Revolution: Power to the People!
- The August Review - Federal Bailout of States Viol...
- Promise of Diversity in Labor Practices and The Em...
- It’s the Sun, stupid! Religious Enviros' beliefs ...
- Obama tax hike meets Democratic resistance
- Do as I say, not as I do: The Corrupt Mantra of ou...
- Forbes.com Video Network | TalkBack: Speak Up, Sil...
- A Time Sensitive Blog: A "Tea Party" Happening
- PLEASE READ AND SIGN THIS READ THE BILL PETITION
- Automatic Obama Tax Cheat Appointment News Form
- Interviews with Francis Barraza and Kristen Lucero...
- ▼ March (19)