January 27 2009 9:48 AM
In his inaugural address, President Barack Obama quoted the famous verse from Scripture that declares, “The time has come to set aside childish things.” Yet the first major environmental decision of his presidency, announced today, represents politics at its most childish and irresponsible....
Botched Paramilitary Police Raids: An Epidemic of "Isolated Incidents"
"If a widespread pattern of [knock-and-announce] violations were shown . . . there would be reason for grave concern." —Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, in Hudson v. Michigan, June 15, 2006. An interactive map of botched SWAT and paramilitary police raids, released in conjunction with the Cato policy paper "Overkill: The Rise of Paramilitary Police Raids," by Radley Balko. What does this map mean? How to use this map View Original Map and Database
The proliferation of SWAT teams, police militarization, and the Drug War have given rise to a dramatic increase in the number of "no-knock" or "quick-knock" raids on suspected drug offenders. Because these raids are often conducted based on tips from notoriously unreliable confidential informants, police sometimes conduct SWAT-style raids on the wrong home, or on the homes of nonviolent, misdemeanor drug users. Such highly-volatile, overly confrontational tactics are bad enough when no one is hurt -- it's difficult to imagine the terror an innocent suspect or family faces when a SWAT team mistakenly breaks down their door in the middle of the night.
But even more disturbing are the number of times such "wrong door" raids unnecessarily lead to the injury or death of suspects, bystanders, and police officers. Defenders of SWAT teams and paramilitary tactics say such incidents are isolated and rare. The map above aims to refute that notion.
|Death of an innocent.||Death or injury of a police officer.||Death of a nonviolent offender.|
|Raid on an innocent suspect.||Other examples of paramilitary police excess.||Unnecessary raids on doctors and sick people.|
- ► 2012 (87)
- ► 2011 (330)
- ► 2010 (174)
- "Never let a serious crisis go to waste. What I me...
- The Dangers of Disclosure
- Obama's California Schemin'
- Scholars Against Stimulus Spending
- CA's budget disaster: Expenses are more than we c...
- Show for Saturday January 24, 2009
- Borderline Insanity: How the Right Got Immigration...
- Show for Saturday January 17, 2009
- "Demography will indeed be destiny if Republicans ...
- I love this rift of Paglia's on Couric so much, (T...
- Clint Eastwood's 'Gran Torino' is Hollywood's cool...
- Gran Torino--the anecdote for those who can't see ...
- Was the Guest Speaker for the Conservative Forum o...
- The Warm Turns--Climate Change: The Earth has bee...
- Hollywood Celebrates Che Guevara But it makes no f...
- ▼ January (15)