Just discovered this website and want to share it with you. It's another great resource to stay informed and to read the best from different points of view.
Eiditor Bill May is a board member of the Conservative Forum of Silicon Valley, CA.
Botched Paramilitary Police Raids: An Epidemic of "Isolated Incidents"
"If a widespread pattern of [knock-and-announce] violations were shown . . . there would be reason for grave concern." —Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, in Hudson v. Michigan, June 15, 2006. An interactive map of botched SWAT and paramilitary police raids, released in conjunction with the Cato policy paper "Overkill: The Rise of Paramilitary Police Raids," by Radley Balko. What does this map mean? How to use this map View Original Map and Database
The proliferation of SWAT teams, police militarization, and the Drug War have given rise to a dramatic increase in the number of "no-knock" or "quick-knock" raids on suspected drug offenders. Because these raids are often conducted based on tips from notoriously unreliable confidential informants, police sometimes conduct SWAT-style raids on the wrong home, or on the homes of nonviolent, misdemeanor drug users. Such highly-volatile, overly confrontational tactics are bad enough when no one is hurt -- it's difficult to imagine the terror an innocent suspect or family faces when a SWAT team mistakenly breaks down their door in the middle of the night.
But even more disturbing are the number of times such "wrong door" raids unnecessarily lead to the injury or death of suspects, bystanders, and police officers. Defenders of SWAT teams and paramilitary tactics say such incidents are isolated and rare. The map above aims to refute that notion.
|Death of an innocent.||Death or injury of a police officer.||Death of a nonviolent offender.|
|Raid on an innocent suspect.||Other examples of paramilitary police excess.||Unnecessary raids on doctors and sick people.|
- ► 2012 (87)
- ► 2011 (330)
- ► 2010 (174)
- ► 2009 (179)
- Who's running for RNC Chairman
- The GOP’s power struggle begins!
- Chuck DeVore on the Radio with us today on the un...
- The Last Thing Calif. Needs: Tax Increases by Chuc...
- News Balance--Indepth News Analysis
- BREAKING NEWS: Dems raising taxes BIG-time TONIGH...
- Steve Moore on his book, and it's timeliness: Th...
- SEC to Probe Its Ties to Madoffs
- D.C.'s Schools Chief Discusses Why She's 'Terrifie...
- Bush says sacrificed free-market principles to sav...
- Two Polls for you to vote in to support Michael St...
- Why Ron Paul Makes Sense
- Joe the Plumber Says McCain 'Appalled' Him
- I'm Hispanic and I vote for limited govt. I want ...
- Today, on my radio program, Assemblyman Chuck DeVo...
- Yeah, we did it! We rallied, Saxby's in, and the ...
- ▼ December (16)